Power Wagon Wheels

Moderator: Toys&Joys

Power Wagon Wheels

Postby dsoderstrom » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:11 am

I'm working on the Power wagon and am looking for a little advice.
The center part of the wheel is tapered all the way around. What is a good way to do this?
I am currently considering doing it by hand on a belt sander but don't know if I will be able to get the taper nice and even all the way around like it is shown in the Power Wagon image gallery.
dsoderstrom

Re: Power Wagon Wheels

Postby Alexkara » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:29 pm

Hi dsodersrom, I built a jig to do my edges (and tread sanding). Here is a picture of it in use.
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZ97DT7ZC0QYDRK6w3VNbXnXXGvhPkeoJDgy
You don't need anything as overengineered as that... all you need is an angled block with a dowel and a methodology for sneaking it up to a disc/belt sander and spinning the wheel by hand... similar could be done on a drilll press or sanded on a lathe.

Alternatively, if you have a steady hand, you could try "spindeling" it on an appropriate bolt, mount in a cordless drill and turn on against the sanding implement. Would require a steady hand and guides to ensure repeatability.

Good luck.
There are two ways of doing things,,, My way or the right way.
Alexkara

Postby dsoderstrom » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:43 pm

Thank you Alexkara for your help.
I ended up using using your last suggestion, mounting the wheel on my drill and spinning it into my disc sander at a 45 degree angle. It made a nice sharp chamfer and using a simple guide I was able to keep them consistent.
I appreciate your help.
dsoderstrom

Postby siul8r » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:02 pm

He has helped lots of us here
Thom
siul8r

Return to General Comments, Questions & Discussion