Lattice Crane.

Moderator: Toys&Joys

Lattice Crane.

Postby ronnus » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:03 am

G'day to all, Ronnus from down under. I am building the Lattice Crane and I am a little confused :?: Can anyone tell me how the two round spacers attach to the track base? Also has anyone building this model encountered any problems with the hole sizes. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Cheers
Ronnus
ronnus

Re: Lattice Crane.

Postby robbygard » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:43 pm

i will have alook later and try to work out what you mean and get back to you on the spacers

i had no problem with hole sizes .... particularly if you are talking about the track pieces themselves ... 1/8 and 3/32 imperial works well and toothpicks you can get from the local supermaket are excellent for dowelling them being just on 3/32 ... a little artists' brush from an art shop (about $5.50 australian) helps with applying just enough but not too much glue so that only the 3/32 side gets stuck and the 1/8 side can still move freely

i made the tracks too tight because i was worried about them falling off, but a subsequent build of some tracks for another project i worked out (temporarily) putting a piece of half inch dowel in gives enough slack to make them run nicely without being too loose

with teh half dowel spacers (and indeed half dowels in anything now), i rout a groove in a waste block using a corebox bit of appropriate size and then take off the wood with a handplane (big dowels) or block plane (small dowels) leaving perfect half dowels behind

when it came to the gantry, i failed once before i photocopied the plans and pasted the main parts to them and used a disc sander to refine angles on struts .. you can carefully scrape and sand the paper off later

i will check the plans later to see about your actual question and if i think of any more hints will add them

if what i say is unclear feel free to ask here or message me if you prefer

regards david
robbygard

Postby ronnus » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:05 pm

Thank you so much, David greatly appreciated :)
ronnus

Postby robbygard » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:34 pm

ronnus wrote:
Can anyone tell me how the two round spacers attach to the track base?

Cheers
Ronnus

ok, i have been down to the shed and had a look at the plan ... the short answer is:

they don't ...

they are loose on a 3/8 inch dowel that is pinned underneath and goes into the cab (platform centre) so they are free to rotate with the cab

regards david
robbygard

Postby Dutchy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:07 am

Maybe this will help:
http://lumberjocks.com/Dutchy/blog/series/12130

As far as I remember I did not have encountered failures in the drawing.
Dutchy

Return to General Comments, Questions & Discussion