Types of Wood to use

Moderator: Toys&Joys

Types of Wood to use

Postby Schaap » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:19 am

Just wondering as to what the wood preference people use on the models, i am seeing from the pics that there is different types of wood used for different types of components.

Which are the most workable woods, which woods give the best results in the end.

Just sent for my first model, so going to see how things go Did number 54 as it is a KW, would be a nice gift for one of my customers when complete

Thanks
Paul
Schaap

Re: Types of Wood to use

Postby siul8r » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:47 pm

Paul:

There are many colors to use, many are soft and many are hard. I like Maple (hard), and Black Walnut (softer). The colors go well together. I've also used Purple heart, Ebony, Poplar and many others. The choice is yours. That is why we have fun. :)
Thom
siul8r

Postby Alexkara » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:29 pm

Welcome on board Schaap... Like siul8r suggested, I predominantly use maple with walnut as the contrast. Here in Australia, "exotic" woods are hard to come by, so I bulk buy maple and walnut when I can... it's hard to go wrong with those two. I occasionally go for Tassie oak (our off the shelf generic hardwood) for certain parts as it seems to ebonize well (usually for tyres).

Good luck with your build... but watch out... it's addictive and may make big inroads into your valuable drinking time!
There are two ways of doing things,,, My way or the right way.
Alexkara

Postby Schaap » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:48 pm

Thank you for your in site into the different woods, on my was to purchase some now before the kit arrives

Double fisted Alex will not me a problem :D
Schaap

Return to General Comments, Questions & Discussion