New guy and a Q re fender/running boards

Moderator: Toys&Joys

New guy and a Q re fender/running boards

Postby Awilson75 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:57 pm

Hi, I’m so glad to find this forum and see all the photos of projects.

I received a #55 ’28 Chevy Pickup plan and kit as an early Christmas present and I have a question re the fenders/running board.

Basically: How do people proceed in cutting and shaping the one piece fender/running boards?

I've looked through the galleries and threads, and some of the photos I’ve seen show a slight glue line between the running board and the fenders. Do you guys completely cut and shape the fender before gluing int to the running boards or are the fenders just rough cut, glued up and then shaped along with the running board? Is it more popular to cut the fender/running board from just one piece of wood?

I realize each project is different and you may approach it differently with every build. I’d just appreciate any tips you can give.

Thanks for your help; I’m really looking forward to building this truck.

Tony
Awilson75

Re: New guy and a Q re fender/running boards

Postby robbygard » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:00 pm

i cut them in one piece doing the plan (looking down on) cut first and then doing the side elevation (looking from the side) cut second ... sanding on a disc sander (outside) and bobbin sander (inside) and some use of both rasps and much much hand sanding

i use toothpicks to make thin dowels and dowel them on to the body of the car

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/658/21970 ... 15f5_c.jpg

this was the first one that i did ... i made a couple of mudguards out of (cheap) pine first for practice .... three or four actually allowing for mistakes

i photocopy the parts and paste them onto the wood to cut and sand ... with the side view you have to paste one of them on from the back (of the photocopy) and one from the front otherwise you end up with two the same

there may be better ways of doing it and i will also be interested if others may respond accordingly

regards david
robbygard

Postby Awilson75 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:24 am

Thanks for the reply; that's the help I was looking for. I like the idea of using toothpicks as dowels, I might borrow that. I'm building the truck from some scraps of maple left over from other projects. I glued up some 1/2 " stock to match what's needed for the fenders/running board. I think it'll work well.

Thanks again for the tips.

Tony
Awilson75

Postby robertleclair » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:21 pm

Another idea you can use for dowels is those long wooden “Q tips” you find at the doctors office.
I would imagine you can purchase them in a medical supply place.
I also use them for door trim, I sand them flat on one side and they work pretty well for that too.
robertleclair

Postby Alexkara » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:55 pm

Hi rlc, If you are after T & J built models, this is the site... as the name suggests... I don't want to lure participants from this forum, however, if you want to learn "in depth methods", may I suggest Lumberjocks and in particular the following two members.
htl... http://lumberjocks.com/htl
Dutchy...http://lumberjocks.com/Dutchy

There are many more modellers there covering all different plan suppliers (T & J, Gatto, Cherry Tree... and more). They all have great builds and some also provide tips during particular build.

The above two mentioned, have some super instructions on building model components and will give you tremendous insight into methodology and techniques... often you can use their methods on other parts (like your fenders). Their "projects" tend to highlight the build results (finished product), however, their "blogs" cover their methodologies and progressive builds with in-line instructions. There is a lot there and you may need to read a lot (grr!) to find what you may explicitly need but I'm sure all your questions will be answered. You may even finish up cursing me for the information overload you will be bombarded with.

Just as a fast track, htl has made the effort to index some/all of his ideas http://lumberjocks.com/htl/blog/116729
There are two ways of doing things,,, My way or the right way.
Alexkara

Postby siul8r » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:06 am

Alexkara:

What a great post, thanks for all of the info. :D
Thom
siul8r

Postby Dutchy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:05 am

Dutchy

Return to General Comments, Questions & Discussion