articulated tractor

Moderator: Toys&Joys

articulated tractor

Postby robbygard » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:11 am

g'day folks

i am working on my second model ... i did the 37 chev truck first ... ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/132842758@N06/? ) a bit rough but nice enough for a first go ...

the tractor is going ok (i am making both a model and a rougher toy which also allows me to practise a bit too) but i wonder whether you can tell me why the 3/8” dowel that joins the front half to the back is designed loose ... i am inclined to glue it into both as there is already a pivot to allow it to articulate and it seems fiddly to do otherwise but if there is a good reason to follow that design i will do it

regards david
robbygard

Re: articulated tractor

Postby Alexkara » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:58 pm

Hi robbygard,

Sad that no one has posted a reply before this, even if to say "je ne sais pas".....

I'm sure you've finished model by now and have answered your question (or decided either way). I did "Arty" a few builds back and did the loose 3/8 join. I would have glued it for the rougher model to provide "robustability", however, for the "delicate" model I'm guessing that the plans tend to follow the concept of the real machine. Not being an engineer I've no idea what its use is for (it may be to provide for exchangeable length "pivots" in real life to extend the overall machines) but it doesn't impact the model and adds another level of "complexity" (button) to fool ignorant viewers.

Alex
There are two ways of doing things,,, My way or the right way.
Alexkara

Postby robbygard » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:20 am

thanks alex .. yes i worked out that the loose fit allows for the rear to articulate in the second plane as you say, more closely following the real thing

regards david
robbygard

Postby siul8r » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:15 am

I just started my #95 Articulaated Tractor.

Anyone have any ideas as to what to watch out for. The Tires are done and starting in the rest.
Thom
siul8r

Postby robbygard » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:46 pm

long time ago for me now but can't remember anything else of concern .. i will check over the plans tonight and if anything occurs post something tomorrow, otherwise my recollection is doing the wheels was the most time consuming part

regards david
robbygard

Postby siul8r » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:09 pm

David:

You're correct, the wheels are a challenge. They are done. (except for stain, glue and final sanding) Now on to the other parts. Let me know if there is a problem with the plans.
Thom
siul8r

Postby Alexkara » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:25 am

robbygard, If you are familiar with SketchUp, https://www.dropbox.com/s/xwdm5kjfbuoi8e4/%24Articulated%20Tractor%20%28coloured%20%26%20bent%29.jpg?dl=0

Here is a link to my SketchUp "Arty" model https://www.dropbox.com/s/nt8lwne0i3je1we/Articulated%20Tractor%20%2895%29.skp?dl=0 .
You can download it and "pull it apart" to see how it fits and look for any potential gotchas.
There are two ways of doing things,,, My way or the right way.
Alexkara

Postby robbygard » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:32 pm

thanks alex ... i am not familiar with sketchup (or any cad) ... maybe thom is and it will help him

regards david
robbygard

Postby siul8r » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:21 am

Just finished my Tractor.

Now waiting for 2019 Patterns.
Thom
siul8r

Postby Dutchy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:21 am

That's a nice one Thom.

It would be nice to see it later on Lumberjock.
Dutchy

Next

Return to General Comments, Questions & Discussion