Where is everyone from?

Moderator: Toys&Joys

Re: Where is everyone from?

Postby woodmiester » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:31 am

Woodmiester from Greenwood Indiana.....Addicted to wood !
woodmiester

Postby Gstorm » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:54 pm

Hi Gary here, I'm from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada commonly known as the frozen white north. Current temp -22 Centigrade with lots of snow. Tough to keep the Igloo warm inside and the darn sled dogs are causing me grief again. Lol
Just kidding of course except for the temp and snow.
Gstorm

Postby presenter2000 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:27 am

Good afternoon all
I am from the UK (Leicester in the midlands). I have used T&J plans for three or four years and won prizes at local shows for my Woodie and another for the dump truck. Would like to hear from any fellow modelers in the UK.

I have to say that the early (blueprint) plans are OK but the more recent CADD PLANS ARE EXCELLENT.

My big problem at present is finding a decent quality thickness planer for small parts. The one I use is excellent WHEN IT IS WORKING!!!! It is a Proxxon D40 but there doesn’t seem to be an equivalent on the market unless our American cousins know different. The D40 has a maximum 3” wide throat and a cutting depth of 40mm and I would love to replace it with a similar robust machine but the pillar box thicknesser are too aggressive and always suffer from ‘snipe’

Anyway onwards and upwards
Bill
presenter2000

Postby Alexkara » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:44 pm

presenter2000 wrote:..... My big problem at present is finding a decent quality thickness planer for small parts.....

Hi p'2000, What I have found that works well is a platform of 18mm MDF topped with laminex to provide a smooth sliding surface... though I still have to be careful under 3mm thicknesses. Alternatively, if the missus's shoe budget can take the hit, a small drum sander (though bigger is better) using a sled works a treat... With that setup I have repeatedly managed 1mm thicknesses (would not try on a thicknesser).

Good luck and welcome!
There are two ways of doing things,,, My way or the right way.
Alexkara

Postby Peter V » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:31 am

Hello everybody,

My name is Peter Verhulst and I live in the Netherlands.

Since shortly into building wooden toys besides RC planes (from balsa) and stirling engines (messing).

I want to learn some of the used tehcnics and also the difference of (types of) wood beside the colour of those woods.
(for me, as example the 1951 Ford by Andy P).

I also want to learn about equipment and the use of that.
Greetings,

Peter V
Peter V

Postby Alexkara » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:59 pm

Hi PeterV, Welcome aboard.

Rather than repeat myself, let me make a reference to my reply on this site to a "similar" question... http://toysandjoys.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3684 ..

One of the more prominent contributors is a fellow country man of yours we affectionately refer to as Dutchy (bad luck that name is taken). He is registered on this forum so you probably could PM him from here. Alternatively, he does have more activity on Lumberjocks but you would need to register to PM him there....

You never know he could live in the next street to you.... Just look out for that man wearing clogs...
There are two ways of doing things,,, My way or the right way.
Alexkara

Postby Peter V » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:55 am

Thanks Alexkara for the welcoming.

I already contacted Dutchy, which I saw also on Lumberjocks.

BTW, do you know this one? http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/threads/ei ... ng.256040/
starting with 'metal' you can see (halfway) my first wooden toy and selfmade trailer.

It is in Dutch but lay-out etc. of the fora is identical to tthe one of T&J.

It is my intention to stay (more or less) at T & J's forum am figuring out how to post foto's.
Greetings,

Peter V
Peter V

Previous

Return to General Comments, Questions & Discussion