Half track

Moderator: Toys&Joys

Half track

Postby Dalboy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:49 am

A quick introduction about me and my experience at building models I have been making toys/models for at least 9 years not including scale radio controlled model boats I also write articles for an English Woodworking magazine on making models/toys one of which is the 1936 Ford of Toys and Joys. Also looking back on some of the posts I see that someone had linked to an Australian web site where I showed how I built it

I am at present in the early stages of building the half track but have noticed that the transmission parts are not that well shown to how they are assembled on the chassis not sure if this was an oversight but luckily I have worked out how I am going to do it.

I am hoping to buy some more plans in the future once I have completed this one that is between my other joy which is woodturning

And a couple of my builds which unfortunately are not Toys and joys but give an idea of my experience in model/toy making.

Dalboy

Re: Half track

Postby siul8r » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:24 am

Dalboy:

You have a nice variety of projects. They all look great.

I did the 1/2 track and there is a thread on it here.
Thom
siul8r

Postby Dalboy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:31 pm

siul8r wrote:Dalboy:

You have a nice variety of projects. They all look great.

I did the 1/2 track and there is a thread on it here.

Thank you, yes I have read your build very impressed. I have a lot to read up on in the forum the only problem is that I want to build many of them :twisted: .

I have completed the diffs and got them all stuck in now tomorrow I must get the rest of the idle wheels turned, I have done the two sets of larger ones already and while I am at it turn anything else at the same time then bag them up for assembly as and when I get to their respected points as I work through the plan. I tend to turn a lot of the things like axles instead of buying plain dowel that way I can pick the colour of wood I use. Like I did with the Big rig tractor unit in my photo's above.
Dalboy

Postby siul8r » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:10 pm

Turning your own dowels to get the correct color is a good idea, kmight try it
Thom
siul8r

Postby Dalboy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:12 am

siul8r wrote:Turning your own dowels to get the correct color is a good idea, kmight try it

You can see from the truck that there is quite a lot of dowel that I have turned much of it is 1/4" diameter. A little list which hopefully can be seen on this photo. Exhaust stacks, Air intakes, Bullbars, Fuel tanks, Axles, front and rear lights and the air tank behind the cab. If I was to use standard off the shelf Dowel then it would have been a little bland or I would have had to colour it in some way. I like to use the natural colour of the wood, which is what I will be doing in my Half track build.

This is where I am at as of the end of yesterday with my build

Dalboy

Postby siul8r » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:30 am

Dalboy

I used a wod called Poplar. It is soft and a light yellow/green color. When clear stain added it looks like the WWII vechiles. Don't know what sort you have ( down under) I'm guessing
Thom
siul8r

Postby Dalboy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:49 pm

siul8r wrote:Dalboy

I used a wod called Poplar. It is soft and a light yellow/green color. When clear stain added it looks like the WWII vechiles. Don't know what sort you have ( down under) I'm guessing

Sorry for late reply I am using Tulip Wood which I believe is in the same family and the parts I am using for the top has a green tinge to it. Been working on the track support brackets and shocks and also the start of the bottom roller assembly, will not be long now before I need to start the track itself but I think I will do the from wheels so that it sits level once the roller assembly is completed.
Found some more mistakes on the plans ie quantities and even some measurements that are wrong luckily I study each section before building them.
Dalboy

Postby siul8r » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:25 pm

Dalboy

Like you I try to study the plans first. My wife always laughs when I say there is an error in the plans. Keep up the good work and post some pictures when done. :D
Thom
siul8r

Return to General Comments, Questions & Discussion