Tiny knobs on the levers

Moderator: Toys&Joys

Tiny knobs on the levers

Postby Woodhog » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:23 am

Just trying to get some ideas on how you guys make the small knobs on the end of the levers for things like the construction equipment. When I try to make them they end up deformed or oval shaped.
Woodhog

Re: Tiny knobs on the levers

Postby conimero » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:25 pm

I just use a 1" belt sander to start them but that is fairly aggresive for small dowels so I then use a dremel tool sander to complete them. Have been generally happy with the results.
conimero

Postby siul8r » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:15 am

For the knobs on the top, I chuck them in drill chuck (my shop smith ) and just use a small file.
Thom
siul8r

Postby Alexkara » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:30 am

This is not my brainwave... I got the idea off Dutchy... I bought some beads (4mm dia round with hole down centre) off the Internet (China... about $5/1,000)... then use a tooth pick or the smallest diameter dowel.

Alternatively you can use some of those fancy up market tooth picks that have a carved end.
There are two ways of doing things,,, My way or the right way.
Alexkara

Postby remark » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:04 am

I use the carved toothpicks, work good and look like a real lever.
remark

Postby robbygard » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:00 pm

i used to try various methods of sanding but for the construction equipment levers i have progressed to using a wood button (wb35) with a hole drilled in the centre for an axle peg (ap1) ... they look great for that purpose and it is very easy to set up on the drill press

i am still experimenting with better ways for the gear lever in a car or truck but at present not particularly happy with my outcomes

regards david
robbygard

Postby presenter2000 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:33 am

I turn them on a model lathe using a collet chuck to hold them steady and a 1/4” bowl gouge. Not successful ever time but it does mean I can use any timber I choose.
presenter2000

Postby Alexkara » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:16 pm

presenter2000 wrote:I turn them on a model lathe using a collet chuck to hold them steady and a 1/4” bowl gouge. Not successful ever time but it does mean I can use any timber I choose.

This is another method I have also used though on a full sized lathe with two jacobs chuck on each end (one with a live centre) https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZSiRY7Z5r642bpKvgXlRpwz8WQXi7ielnnk. Starting with 4mm dowel, the secret is to steady the far side of the work piece with the free hand... and try not to slip with the chisel... Sorry, my third hand was in a sling so I could't demonstrate while taking a picture.
There are two ways of doing things,,, My way or the right way.
Alexkara

Return to General Comments, Questions & Discussion