Articulated Truck

Moderator: Toys&Joys

Articulated Truck

Postby Studeag » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:12 am

Here are some pictures of the project I am working on. I've redone the plan with Sketchup for the box to have all the combined cutting angles, cause on the plans, there are not shown. The wheels are made of Oak that will be ebonized. I will post pictures when complete. I've included some pictures of it today.

I've made my jig for the wheels so I could cut left and right sections and create left and right wheels. I also made the rear axles so the suspension would be independant.
Studeag

Re: Articulated Truck

Postby jamest » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:32 am

Great looking truck. Where did you get the plans from.. James
James
jamest

Postby rlgrady » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:38 pm

Looking good Studeag. Can you describe your wheel making process a little more? Nice work, thanks for posting.
Robert
rlgrady

Postby GR8HUNTER » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:26 am

very nice deal you got there Studeag , Please explain or show jigs for wheels ...... thanks ;)
Remember to always have FUN
Reinholds Pa.
Tony
GR8HUNTER

Postby Studeag » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:44 pm

Will take pictures of the jig over the weekend and post early next week

Thank You!

Alain
Studeag

Postby Studeag » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:20 am

JIGS FOR WHEELS

This is the procedure I use to make the articulated truck wheels, it is the same procedure to make any of the wheels for the Toys & Joys plans, the dimension and number of slots is different

First, I cut the blanks for the wheels ( 4 ¼'' x 3/4'') and grill a ¼'' center hole. The I use my small circle cutter on the band saw. Also I get the inner wheel made with ¼'' thick material.

The jig is made so I can push it to the blade so the front of the blade is equal to the front of the ¼'' post a stop block is doing that.

Then I start the cutting by turning the piece into the blade.

I go all the way around

Then I backup the jig to remove the wheel part

I sand or machine the wheels halves and center so they are all the same size.

On the Toys & Joys plan they show how to make a jig to make the treads on the halves

But they make treads on one side of the blade so wheels are all the same when assembled, you can't produce left or right wheels

If you want to make left and right wheels, you will have to make an other jig to cut the other way and produce them

I've produce mine with one jig, but use it on the 2 sides of the blade to have treads face to face

The jig I use to make the treads is an indexer made to drill circular form holes on the press drill

The inderxer can be done with any number of thoots on the gear to drill any hole combinations on a wheel. The one shown is 36 tooths and can do all those hole combinations. 2,3,6,9,12,18 and 36

It is made with the use of a 36 thoots gear that is controled by a spring loaded small bearing that rides on the thoots and stops the gear at each inner thoots separation.

This jig is made with 2 flat bearings that hold the gear and base together and keep the piece to be drilled in place and rotate, a complete free plan can be found at this adress :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88015270@N02/sets/72157647155539473/

I use the same jig on my table saw with a different table on the jig to hold the tire halves and removing the cover,

Then placing it on my table saw on the guide saw jig at 90° and turning the jig assembly at 60° from the blade, adjust it so the blade is under the center of the wheel half, raise the blade to the correct height, then make one side of the wheel by turning the jig 36 times to make the slots and produce all of the halves of that angle

I then flip the jig assembly to the other side of the blade at 60°, keep the same blade height, reajust the blade on the center of the wheel half, then cut the 36 slots on the other side and produce all of the halves of that angle

Then I assemble the wheels with a left and right halves and the center section in the configuartion I want.

The Toys & Joys plan supplies all the dimensions of wheels parts.
Studeag

Postby rlgrady » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:57 am

Excellent tutorial Studeag, thanks for posting this.
Robert
rlgrady

Postby GR8HUNTER » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:14 am

Thank You so very much Alain, for the awesome Tutorial :D
Remember to always have FUN
Reinholds Pa.
Tony
GR8HUNTER

Postby jamest » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:07 pm

Alain, great looking truck. Thanks for the info on making the wheels. You guys are making me jealous. I can't get out in the garage for four more mouths. James
James
jamest

Postby Hally » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:47 pm

Awesome bit of engineering and tutorial mate - thanks.
Hally

Next

Return to General Comments, Questions & Discussion