Tools required to build models

Moderator: Toys&Joys

Tools required to build models

Postby crouse2 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:48 pm

I'm a newbie & would like to build some old time trucks or cars. I don't have a band saw....just a scroll saw & pretty much everything else. Can I build these without a band saw? Any other tools I should have?
Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom
crouse2

Re: Tools required to build models

Postby siul8r » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:34 pm

I seldom use a band saw. Mostly a small table saw, planer, strip and belt sanders.

Welcome to the forum.
Thom
siul8r

Postby Alexkara » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:38 pm

crouse2 wrote:I'm a newbie ..... I don't have a band saw....just a scroll saw & pretty much everything else. Can I build these without a band saw? Any other tools I should have?
Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom

Hi crouse2, Welcome aboard.

Imagine yourself being re-born as a woman... Could you have enough shoes? Of course not and similarly a mere male cannot have enough tools. If you have the shekels and the space, you will find a bandsaw an invaluable asset in your arsenal of killing wood.

Do you need it for model making? No... but if you diversify, the time will eventually come when you'll find it invaluable. T & J plans give great hints for making (say) grader blade on the table saw, however, I found that the bucket on the Wheel Loader (#67) was a breeze when rough cut glued and trimmed on the bandsaw before final sanding. If you are scroller then it might be easier but I think one needs to be a great scroller to minimise sanding (note the emphasis on minimise... you'll still need to). I will add here that I tried the bucket segments on the scroll saw first, but not being a good scroller it took quite a few hours that only took minutes to correct using the bandsaw.
I always use my bandsaw for large wheels (construction, hummer, tractor) and a disc sander for clean up, however, I have seen some fantastic wheels created by non bandsaw owners.

Having said that, I have found a bandsaw invaluable in my diversified projects (outside T & J models), however, while not mandatory, as I have one, it is an invaluable assist/simplification in some of the T & J models' parts.

Bottom line, space, shekels and SWMBO will guide you on the path to necessity.
There are two ways of doing things,,, My way or the right way.
Alexkara

Postby jamest » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:10 am

I have to agree with every thing in the last post. Buy the best tool you can afford at the time. May be upgrade some time in the future. Having said that. I bought a cheap belt sander 35 years ago with the thought of getting a better one .I still have it and it still works great. Having certain power tools can make your project much easer, but
not necessary Look at all the great wood working done years ago with just hand tools One last thing I's your project, If you're happy with the results that's all that maters. Work safe and good luck with your stuff. James.
James
jamest

Return to General Comments, Questions & Discussion