Ebonised (tyres)

Moderator: Toys&Joys

Ebonised (tyres)

Postby John Little » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:46 am

G'day, I am in Australia and just today received 4 plans and kits, very excited. I see that a finish for wheels that is mentioned is "ebonised", can some one please enlighten me on this? The finish looks so natural; also one chap (Jonesy with a Woody) had done whitewalls in a process simply called "Holly inlaid"...please can you assist here also.
Thank you,
John Little (my.shed@iinet.net.au)
John Little

Re: Ebonised (tyres)

Postby 317over60 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:05 am

Glad to have you, in this hobby.
Bruce, Indiana [ Sawdust is just " Man Glitter " ]
317over60

Postby robbygard » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:34 pm

i am not so sure i am good help here but seeing as no-one is answering, i will give it a go ( i am also in australia)

ebonising, as i understand it, is just a type of stain .... someone suggested vinegar, steel wool and tea leaves left for a few days and then strained and used as multiple coats until the colour you want is attained .... i have never tried it so don't know ... i have used a wattyl black stain on something different and it was ok ... i just got it from a local "inspirations paint shop"

i don't bother staining my models ... i tend to use contrasting timbers often redgum and silky oak (because they are readily available to me) and finish with a wipeon poly ...

for wheels, i just pick a darker wood (often redgum or jarrah) and cut out all but about 3/8 inch (say about 10mm) and fit a lighter wood in the middle (mostly tas oak/vic ash)
i use a jig for the disk sander to get sizes exact on the outside rings and a holesaw or forstner bit for inside rings

i can't help you with "holly inlay" but i have made a whitewall style wheel the same way as above but using three rings instead of two .... i used some jacaranda for the whitewall as it was the lightest coloured timber i had ... probably on a par with holly anyway but more easily obtained in australia ... i also used huon pine for some hubs in tractor wheels and it would probably be light enough to represent a whitewall

regards david
robbygard

Postby Alexkara » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:09 am

Hi LJ. Similar to robbygard, I'm adding my obsolete 2 cents worth due to lack of response.

I have seen Pjonesey, Dutchy and htl with some great ebonizing results (some you may need to search for on LumberJocks), but I have never been able to match their results. Like robby', I prefer to use contrasting timber (usually walnut) for the wheels, however, I do think that black tyres on truck and cars (ONLY) do look better than the "brown" which I predominantly use on construction/heavy type vehicles.

I have tried stain but in all my attempts it leaches onto the rim (too hard to get a fine line separation) and doesn't soak up too well into the pre-fabricated wheels from T & J. What I have done in the past is to hog out the rim (and make my own out of light timber), paint the wheels (tyre) using Jo Sonja's Artistic Colours paint (bought at Spotlights). I found that particular acrylic paint gives great coverage and does not layer, much like a thicker stain rather than a thick layer(s) of "traditional" paint. It is not the cheapest and I'm sure there are many cheaper others as good, if not better, but when you are on a good thing... you would probably squander any potential cost savings on searching time for a cheaper alternative.

Though I hate reading, what I have gathered about ebonizing is to just throw some loose steel wool (0000 dissolves faster) into a jar and cover with vinegar. Stir and shake like a good martini. It should only take a couple of days. Now this timing may be critical between a successful or failed brew, however, I haven't come across any metrics of note.

I have heard rumours that apple cider vinegar is the best, however, I've heard just as many advocates of malt and other types claiming superiority. I can only ascertain that recycled beer doesn't work.

The type of wood you use plays a very critical part in the chemical reaction. I believe the magic word is "tannin". The higher the tannin content of the wood the better it will darken. A good coat of strong brewed tea, as a prewash to your ebonizer, will greatly assist in the process. I usually use maple and I haven't scientifically evaluated it's tannin content other than I have not been too successful with it. What I have done though is bought some Dry Powdered Tannin https://www.shellac.net/product650.html which as a pre-wash has given me acceptable results "on paper" (test pieces... not in production work to date)... One bag should last a lifetime...

Either way, I feel that if you want a fine "line" between the tyre and rim, use two pieces and stain/ebonize the entire tyre... much like contrasting wood.

Good luck, Alex.
There are two ways of doing things,,, My way or the right way.
Alexkara

Postby GR8HUNTER » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:26 am

I did answer him under 48 woodie wagon DUCKY :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

by GR8HUNTER » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:33 am
first let me say welcome John

ebonizing is a practice in which you can take some vinegar and steel wool mix them together let soak then apply mixture on wood such as oak you need a wood with high tannin you can also brew tea to add tannin to some woods

holly in lay is just some holly wood inlaid into wheel

MAYBE I WASNT CLEAR A NUFF :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Remember to always have FUN
Reinholds Pa.
Tony
GR8HUNTER

Postby Studeag » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:49 am

Here is a picture of an oak ebonised wheel (Vinegar and old nails)
Studeag

Postby robbygard » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:22 am

robbygard wrote: i have used a wattyl black stain on something different and it was ok ... i just got it from a local "inspirations paint shop"

correction that was a cabot's stain

regards david
robbygard

Postby htl » Fri May 05, 2017 6:44 am

I've used it with oak but walnut seems to come out darker for me, but I do hate using up my small amount of walnut for wheels. :cry: :cry: :roll: :lol:
htl

Return to General Comments, Questions & Discussion